It Just Makes Sense

When you park at the grocery store, grab a cart that is in the parking lot and take it with you into the store. Come on, you need one anyway. Even if you don’t need one, push it on in. The car dent you save may be your own. If someone is nearly finished unloading their groceries into their car, offer to take the cart off their hands so they don’t have to find the cart return spot. You need one anyway! Keep paying it forward!

By Patty Lane on December 4, 2009 12 comments

Add your vote (31 voted for this deed)
Loading ... Loading ...

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn

Processing your request, Please wait....

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Lori Heinz December 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Great advise Patty! I see a lot of people doing that and it always makes me smile! Plus the cart on the way in gives you someplace to throw your recycle grocery bags and purse into- so you can go about texting someone, no doubt.

Patty Lane December 4, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Thanks Lori! I feel validated now.

Dana Brown December 14, 2009 at 2:23 pm

You’re headline says it all. . . it just makes sense! Why not?!

Angie Wright January 2, 2010 at 11:09 am

I agree – if you are feeling especially generous push two or three carts back to the store. I’ve seen these things flying across the parking lot in the wind. It is so frustrating for find a good parking place and then find out that someone left a cart in it.

I love this website.

Do the deed!

Beth January 6, 2010 at 10:23 am

Thank-you! My mother fell and broke her clavecle trying to prevent a stry cart from crashing into autos!

Tina January 23, 2010 at 7:43 pm

The headline does say it all! Why not grab a cart on your way? You’re going to need it anyway and with no extra effort on your part you’ve cleared a parking space and may have prevented a car from getting scratched. That is just common sense and being a good citizen.

Kim February 11, 2010 at 2:17 pm

Don’t be too enthusiastic – cartpushing gives my handicapped son a job!! But I have always tried to take just one cart in, too.

Schmee July 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

VERY GOOD…I to worked at a grocery store, you would be suprised the trouble the carts will get people into.
I was leaving the store after shopping the other day and there was a cart that was being blown in the parking lot, I noticed it picked up momentum and started going straight for a car…FAST. I picked up the speed ran over and grabbed it seconds before it hit the car. It would have done some damage if it hit. so…1) it makes the curtousy clerks at the store. 2) It keeps peoples cars from getting dinked 3) You already have a car in hand…

mary-Elizabeth Landrum July 27, 2010 at 7:12 am

thank-you! My mother chased a cart once that was left standing loose. She ended up in the hospital with a fractured clavical!

Lexie Faulkner February 24, 2011 at 9:19 am

My children and I do this everytime we go. At one point in the snow blizzard there were three carts blocking spaces close to the store and we took them all in thru the slush! My kids thought they were pretty strong to push those carts thru the snow! win win for everyone!!

Tim BRehm March 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Think of the work you are saving the poor soul who works there who’s job it is to gather the carts. This is actually very physically demanding work in the extreme heat and cold and rain! I work at Walmart and the guy who does this job only makes $8.00 an hour.

Jojo December 11, 2015 at 9:49 am